Wednesday 1 July 2015

Comfort/Discomfort

Artist Sarah Duyer creates ceramic pieces which mix the everyday with the slightly uncomfortable.

'In my work I explore the dichotomy of comfort and discomfort. Through altering certain elements in that formula, such as surface texture and form, I hope to jar the viewers and force them to feel discomfort. Teeth and fingernails and skin sculpted from stoneware and glazed with a glossy finish create a confusing and sometimes grotesque take on a clean silhouette. By using natural, organic forms and playful themes in combination with harsher imagery, I attempt to create work that takes a closer look at anxiety and the human condition. I try to combine my personal, more lighthearted, style with more serious themes in order to present my individualistic interpretation of my environment.'











No comments:

Post a Comment